LAS 432 Week 5 Midterm (Version 2)
- (TCO 1) In the Neolithic Revolution, the growth of communities was a result of
- (TCO 1) Francis Bacon argued that scientific method differed from logic and mathematics in that
- (TCOs 2 & 8) Edgerton counters the theory of distinct successive technological revolutions by explaining that
- (TCOs 2 & 8) The introduction of four uniform time zones in the United States was a direct result of
- (TCO 4) Which of the following is NOT a characteristic of Wiki art?Â (Points : 5)
- (TCO 4) According to Winner, the use of computer technologies to supervise workers is
- (TCO 8) The term Luddite refers to
- (TCO 11) Which of the following is considered a scholarly resource?Â (Points : 5)
- (TCO 12) The three technologies that Bill Joy states are the greatest threat in the 21st century are
- (TCO 12) The unintended effects of e-mail are
- The intended reader of a scholarly resource would be
- During the Protestant Reformation, the printing press created a new desire for books.
- Winner argues that some technologies have become so fully integrated in our society that they have actually taken on social roles. An example of this would be
- Essay Questions
- (TCOs 1 & 2) Why does Cowan believe it is important to examine technologies in the context of technological systems? What advantage does this broader perspective give to planners? Give a specific current technological example (not it the reading) in support of your answer.
- (TCOs 4 & 8) Explain in your own words your understanding of Wajcman’s critique of technological determinism. How does her reasoning compare with Winner’s argument that technologies can actually reflect political relationships? Provide examples…………Has the development of digital technologies democratized the art of photography? How has this affected our appreciation of the photographer as artist and photography as an art form? Explain using specific examples.
- (TCO 4 AND 12) Both Winner and Joy explore the issue of technology and control. How would you compare their two views of current technological development? Focus the comparison on a specific technology, such as genetically modified organisms.
- (TCOs 3 & 4) How have changes in technology affected the recording industry and our understanding of what it means to be a professional musician? How have changes in technology affected our access to recorded music and the control exercised by traditional distributors? How will all these changes affect cultural trends and our expectations of music as an art form? Provide specific examples.
- (TCOs 1 & 2) Landes argues that there were cultural differences between the East and Middle East and the West that affected the development and application of some technologies such as the clock. Did these differences also affect the way these cultures approached information technologies such as the printing press? Can you make a comparison with the different approaches taken by Eastern and Middle Eastern and Western cultures today and current information technologies? (Points : 50)
There are no reviews yet.